How to get a cannabis card
Register with Board of Pharmacy
Wait 6-8 weeks for Card to come in the mail
Borrowed from the Virginia Board of Pharmacy website. You will receive a copy of the PDF instructions (easier to read) when you book your appointment.
Before Completing the Online Application:
To register with the Board of Pharmacy you will need to apply as a Registered Patient For Cannabis Oil or Registered Parent/Guardian of Cannabis Oil. Important Note: You must first obtain a valid written certification from Athena Heals LLC prior to applying for registration as a patient or parent/guardian to possess cannabis oil.
To begin the registration process:
The Department of Health Professions primarily licenses and regulates healthcare practitioners by their profession type. Although you are not seeking a professional license, you may encounter this terminology throughout the registration process. The registration directions below should reduce any confusion and assist you to complete the process accurately.
1. Go to https://www.license.dhp.virginia.gov/apply/ to begin the registration process.
If you have another license issued by a board of the Department of Health Professions, enter your User ID and Password.
If you do not have another type of license, click the “Register a Person” tab in the upper left corner of the screen.
o You will be required to enter your last name and social security number.
o If you are not already in the licensing system, you will be directed to the “Initial Registration” screen.
o Follow the directions for completing the log in registration. You will enter a User Id and Password that you will need to complete the patient or parent/guardian registration.
o Once you have completed this step, you can now log in.
2. Once you have logged in you should see the Welcome screen. Select Initial Application from the left menu.
3. On the Application for Licensure screen:
Select Pharmaceutical Processing from the Profession dropdown.
If you are the patient (individual) applying for registration, select Registered Patient for Cannabis Oil from the License Type dropdown.
If you are the parent or legal guardian of the patient who is a minor or incapacitated adult, select Registered Parent/Guardian of Cannabis Oil from the License Type dropdown. Once you have completed this application you must also complete the Registered Patient For Cannabis Oil application for the patient. The primary parent/guardian of the minor or incapacitated adult who resides with the patient must complete this.
Select Initial Application from the Obtained By dropdown
Click the Start Application button.
4. Complete the registration process and pay the fee: $50 for patients; $25 for parent/legal guardian.
5. Scan and email, fax, or mail the following documentation to the board at the address below for the application to be considered complete:
A copy of the written certification issued by a registered practitioner;
Proof of residency of the qualifying patient and proof of residency of a parent or legal guardian, if applicable, such as a government-issued identification card or tax receipt;
Proof of identity of the qualifying patient and, if the patient is a minor, proof of identity of the parent or legal guardian in the form of a government-issued identification card;
Proof of the qualifying patient’s age in the form of a birth certification or other government-issued identification.
A valid Virginia Driver’s License will fulfill the requirements for proof of age, identity, and residency.
6. Should any additional information be needed to process the application you will be notified by email. Please ensure that you enter your email address accurately into the application.
7. Please allow 4-5 weeks for processing the registration application. Once issued, the registration card will be mailed to the address of record listed on the application.
Virginia Board of Pharmacy Perimeter Center
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, VA 23233
Fax – (804) 527-4472